Substation Engineering Project Lead
2200 Wilson Boulevard Arlington, VA 22201 US
- The Arlington T&D Substation team is seeking an engineer to serve as a Project Lead within our client team.
- This role primarily involves leading the engineering design execution of diverse substation projects, including brown field stations, equipment replacements, relay upgrades, feasibility studies, and more. T
- he portfolio consists of both direct and competitive-award projects, providing the candidate with a fantastic opportunity to hone proposal skills while getting exposure to both Time and Material and Lump Sum contracts.
- This is an excellent opportunity to join a small, growing team that provides opportunities for advancement by building a team from the ground up, including possibilities for forging partnerships with multiple firms to help reach its diverse business goals.
- Ensuring a safety-first mindset during site visits, throughout design, and construction support.
- Acting as the main point of contact for coordination with our internal team addressing all aspects of engineering design activities for assigned projects.
- Overseeing all facets of Substation design (Physical, P&C and Civil), extending across multiple disciplines and global practices, when needed.
- Managing quality control and processes for design packages being submitted to the client and sent to the field for construction.
- Collaborating with a team to develop and expand the team’s skills and technical excellence.
- Tracking and reporting regularly on progress, engineering hours, schedule metrics, design questions, potential impacts, and any issues requiring support or changes to the project scope.
- Coordinating with the client Team Lead to identify needs within the team and provide solutions to meet those needs.
- Providing timely and accurate responses to client questions and concerns.
- Overseeing the development of proposals and estimates for opportunities the team is pursuing, including the development of project budget.
- Maintaining/updating project budgets throughout life of project
- Developing and coordinating the execution plans for work done internally.
- Leading weekly engineering calls with internal teams and providing client updates during weekly client update meetings.
- Leading coordination of design activities with other departments, regional offices, and subcontractors when necessary.
- Providing leadership, guidance, and instruction to other engineers and designers as needed.
- Traveling for site visits, team meetings, client meetings for project reviews and business development, and other various activities as required.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
Ideal Candidate Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in engineering from an accredited program.
- 7+ years of substation design experience
- Professional Engineering (PE) certification required
- Familiarity with ECOSYS project setup, budgeting, and forecasting
- Experience leading cross-discipline T&D projects and communicating directly with external clients.
- Related professional experience in T&D or other GPs that provide designs in the 13kV-345kV voltage classes preferred.
- Passionate about developing skills in project management, engineering execution, business development, and team development.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills to develop designs with minimal client-defined standards or requirements.
- Capability of solving complex problems that require adaptation and modification of standard approaches, techniques, procedures, and criteria.