Sr Geotechnical Engineer
Norfolk, VA 23709 US
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide independent, timely and professional support and consultation for the planning, design, construction, and maintenance of facilities for the Navy, Marine Corps, and other Supported Commands, including, special projects, military construction (MILCON), demolition, maintenance, space utilization, missional studies and facilities development.
- Conduct technical review and professional evaluation of NAVFAC Mid-Atlantic design and construction projects, generating review comments for electrical design proficiency in accordance with code standards for private A&E design submittals and In-House NAVFAC design teams. Ensure review comments are created, appropriately recorded, and communicated in timely and professional means ensuring comments and design concerns are appropriately identified, communicated, coordinated, resolved, and satisfactorily completed/ incorporated into the resulting design record documents.
- Participate in project meetings with stakeholders, collaborate with other engineering and architectural disciplines and ensure project coordination is enabled toward accomplishing specific project/ client requirements. Coordination will actively be required both with external vendors/ contractors as well as within numerous NAVFAC inter-organizational teams and business lines.
- Conducts site visits as required in support of assigned project work. Conduct assessments to generate electrical systems design requirements. Assists with construction quality assurance by performing code required special inspections or required electrical observation. Witnesses’ acceptance testing and provide trouble shooting recommendations of electrical equipment and systems as part of the facility commissioning process.
- Participate in and uphold work requirements for multiple project assignments simultaneously. Administratively track and proactively support multiple ongoing projects concurrently, maintaining clear, comprehensive, and responsive communication with stakeholders, enabling project actions and approvals, and ensuring the given project is aligning with pertinent UFC, Navy and DoD requirements.
- Responsible for coordinating all activities in the specialized area of geotechnical and pavements engineering, in accordance with related UFC Criteria.
- Support the design of In-House Design projects and Request for Proposal (RFPs) as a team member for complex projects. Review designs (i.e., specs, drawings, costs) and RFPs prepared by consultant Architects-Engineers (AEs).
- Knowledgeable in the development of final working drawings utilizing current AutoCAD technology. Monitors construction, ensuring the geotechnical aspects of the project are in accordance with the contract plans and specifications.
- Review contractor submittals of shop drawings, samples of materials and other design-related items. Confers with the construction contractor and designer (if A/E work) to resolve problems or latent conditions that may arise after construction.
- Make recommendations for corrective/preventative measures, as appropriate.
- Ensure that changes in costs, quantity, scope, schedules, design, or any other terms and conditions of the contract are coordinated or approved, as appropriate.
- Engage with and manage the many varied design and construction techniques, geotechnical criteria, seismic activity, climatic conditions, code requirements, cost estimating and coordination.
- Analyze data and uses geotechnical experience to determine and predict specially developed foundation shear strength and settlement potential for various materials encountered.
- Determine testing parameters for soil conditions to design structural foundations.
- Initiate field trips to project sites to evaluate scoping, design, and construction.
- Inspect existing conditions of soils and foundations to ascertain possible problems and recommend corrective measures.
- Interface with customer and other interested parties providing consultation and gathering pertinent information required to complete project scoping, designs and failure analysis and remedial measures.
- Must be an expert in applicable Geotechnical criteria, materials, concepts, analysis, testing, investigations, reports, principles, and practices as they apply to a wide range of shore facilities.
- Serves as a recognized expert consultant, coordinator, and technical specialist in this area of expertise.
- Proficient with current AutoCAD, civil design/analysis software, cost estimating, and Specs Intact technologies utilized for the completion of the design drawings and specifications.
- Experience providing thorough QA/QC evaluation on drawings, specifications, calculations, and reports for projects prepared by private A/E design firms. Submittals are reviewed for completeness, functionality, sound practice and compliance with NAVFAC DoD criteria and other applicable codes.
- Provide post construction award services including review and approval of contractor's submittals on materials, fabrication drawings, and schedules to determine that they conform to the requirements of the contract drawings and specifications.
- Knowledge and experience with interdisciplinary designs and the coordination of those disciplines to produce an efficient set of electronic plans and specifications.
- Knowledge of local, state, federal, and foreign country laws, codes, and other statutory requirements affecting environmental design requirements throughout the NAVFAC Mid-Atlantic AOR.
- Competency analyzing data, information and designs and producing and communicating the results/ findings in writing. Review and consolidate findings of others; evaluate recommendations based on findings. Ability to make oral presentations and professionally articulate information verbally.
- Knowledge of and compliance with Safety Policy, Guidance and use of personal protective equipment.
- Current registration as a Professional Engineer (PE) Geotechnical Engineering or Civil/ Structural with an emphasis or concentration within Geotechnical Engineering is required.
- A minimum of 10 years of relevant professional Geotechnical Engineering experience is required.
- Must have a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree from a program approved by the Accreditation Board for Engineers and Technology (ABET) in Geotechnical Engineering or Civil/ Structural with an emphasis or concentration within Geotechnical Engineering.