Sr Civil Engineer
Jacksonville, VA 32212 US
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide independent, timely and professional support and consultation for the planning, design, construction, and maintenance of facilities for the Navy, Marine Corps, and other Supported Commands, including, special projects, military construction (MILCON), demolition, maintenance, space utilization, missional studies, and facilities development.
- Conduct technical review and professional evaluation of NAVFAC design and construction projects, generating review comments for electrical design proficiency in accordance with code standards for private A&E design submittals and In-House NAVFAC design teams. Ensure review comments are created, appropriately recorded, and communicated in timely and professional means ensuring comments and design concerns are appropriately identified, communicated, coordinated, resolved, and satisfactorily completed/ incorporated into the resulting design record documents.
- Participate in project meetings with stakeholders, collaborate with other engineering and architectural disciplines and ensure project coordination is enabled toward accomplishing specific project/ client requirements. Coordination will actively be required both with external vendors/ contractors as well as within numerous NAVFAC inter-organizational teams and business lines.
- Conducts site visits as required in support of assigned project work. Conduct assessments to generate mechanical systems design requirements. Assists with construction quality assurance by performing code required special inspections or required electrical observation. Witness acceptance testing and provide trouble shooting recommendations of equipment and systems during the facility commissioning process.
- Proficiently participate in and uphold work requirements for multiple project assignments simultaneously. Administratively track and proactively support multiple ongoing projects concurrently, maintaining clear, comprehensive, and responsive communication with stakeholders, enabling project actions and approvals during critical project transitions, and ensuring the given project is aligning with pertinent UFC, Navy and DoD requirements.
- Project work includes new construction and renovation/ rehabilitation projects for facility types including but not limited to: housing/ living facilities; community support facilities (dining hall, clubs, fitness centers, child development centers); medical facilities; education/training facilities; maintenance shops; industrial facilities; hangars; administration buildings; operations buildings (command and control centers); security, waterfront, airfield, and other shore installation facilities.
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS:
- Registration as a Professional Engineer (PE) in the discipline of Civil Engineering is required.
- Broad professional knowledge and experience in the theories, concepts, principles, and practices of civil engineering for the planning, design, construction, and maintenance of a wide range of shore-based engineering projects, such as: site developments, roads, airfields, water supply, sewer systems, drainage, dredging, waste facilities, shore protection, and other large/industrial civil engineering projects.
- Knowledge of DOD and Navy guide specifications, criteria and policy, industry codes and standards, and standard practices related to civil engineering design including the International Building Code.
- Knowledge of local, state, federal, and foreign country laws, codes, and other statutory requirements affecting civil engineering design throughout the NAVFAC AOR.
- Knowledge of budgeting, planning, and project management techniques, including the ability to coordinate the work of others and lead teams.
- Knowledge of related A/E disciplines and their associated impacts as related to civil engineering.
- Competency analyzing data, information and designs and producing and communicating the results/ findings in writing. Review and consolidate findings of others; evaluate recommendations based on findings. Ability to make oral presentations and professionally articulate information verbally.
- Skill in the use of software/systems, such as Whole Building Design Guide (WBGD) and AutoCAD, civil design/analysis software, and Specs-In-Tact technologies, Autodesk software, Microsoft Office products, civil engineering design and analysis software and other applicable DoD computer systems.
- Knowledge of and compliance with Safety Policy, Guidance, and use of personal protective equipment.
- A minimum of 10 years of professional practice in Civil Engineering for the design and construction administration of code compliant facilities.
- Substantial Civil Engineering design knowledge and experience for both new construction and renovation/ rehabilitation projects for facilities, utility services/ distribution and site development projects.
- Desired design experience within a broad spectrum of civil engineering projects/services for site developments, roads, airfields, water supply, sewer systems, drainage, dredging, solid waste facilities, shore protection, and other civil works to support new or existing facilities and encompass large industrial facilities, buildings, or project sites, with diverse climatic, geographic, and environmental conditions.