Senior Director of Finance and Accounting
3021 W Carroll Ave Fl 5 Chicago, IL 60612 US
The Senior Director of Finance and Accounting will support the CFO to work on long-term financial health and growth. In this role you will have the opportunity to make an impact and support our strong academic outcomes with students!
- Review and approve all assignments and projects of the accounting and finance team to ensure accurate and timely record keeping in all areas of accounting including: payroll; accounts payable; month-end close; federal and state funding and general ledger maintenance. Research and resolve any discrepancies.
- Prepare and review month-end account reconciliations for balance sheet and income statement accounts.
- Bank reconciliations for all operating and Investment Accounts
- Revenues from local, state and federal funding entities (specifically per pupil, food service and Title funding)
- Donor contributions via coordination with the Advancement Team
- Payroll, Accruals and Fixed Assets.
- Complete and prepare monthly financial reports (actual versus budget) and variance analysis to board and senior management. Work closely with senior staff and principals to monitor department budgets and identify variances and solutions timely. Provide a high level of service to schools.
- Complete financial projections, forecasts, cash flow projections and other reports and analyses as assigned by the Chief Financial Officer.
- Recommend and implement process and operational efficiencies to ensure accuracy, timeliness and strong internal controls for financial operations. Including implementation of new accounting software.
- Complete quarterly financial reporting to banking institutions (including bank covenant calculations), lenders and other regulatory agencies.
- Assist in the preparation of the annual operating budget for the network and campuses. Ensure that the budget is accurately reflected in the accounting software.
- Coordinate the fiscal year-end annual financial audit, including the preparation and review of audit work-papers.
- Work with auditors in completion of annual tax returns, including IRS Form 990.
- Maintain high quality staff by coaching, counseling employees including planning, monitoring and appraising job results.
- Stay abreast of emerging accounting and tax issues affecting the not-for-profit industry. Comply with federal, state and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation, enforcing adherence to requirements and advising management on needed actions.
- Ensure appropriate internal controls over LEARN’s assets and in the assignment of responsibilities and duties.
- Establish and maintain long-term secure record-keeping systems for all financial documentation required by audit and to ensure compliance with record retention policies.
- Performs other job-related functions as required by the Chief Financial Officer.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting; CPA and MBA are preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience in following: management of accounting team, general accounting, financial analysis and financial audits. Non profit financial experience preferred.
- Strong analytical skills in budgeting and forecasting to create multi-year operational and strategic plans.
- Experience and direct analysis of real estate expansion is a plus.
- Treasury management, and experience with monetary bank covenants.
- Strong business acumen.
- Ability to critically review vendor contracts and serve in a negotiating/ bargaining capacity.
- Familiarity with generally accepted accounting principles and a firm understanding of accounting concepts.
- Knowledge of non-profit accounting standards, and accounting unique to charter schools, preferred.
- Strong mathematical, analytical and technical skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- High-level proficiency with spreadsheets, computer applications such as Word, Excel and accounting systems
- Experience with Blackbaud’s Financial Edge and/or Sage Intacct preferred, but not required.
- Strong organizational abilities with close attention to detail and precision.
- Ability to foster and work in a cooperative, team-oriented work environment.
- Team building, staff development and supervisory skills.
- Ability to keep information confidential.
- Strong customer service focus, with an ability to interact congenitally and effectively with a diverse network of employees, customers and vendors.