Severn, MD 21144 US
The position will oversee municipal landfilling operations at the state-of-the-art Landfill and Resource Recovery Facility. Operation includes managing the state-of-the-art solid waste disposal facility, including liner and leachate collection systems, landfill gas (LFG) collection, conveyance and recovery systems, recycling activities and post-closure care.
The employee must apply sound waste management principles and applications to ensure effective landfill operations and compliance with Federal, State and County regulations on environmental mandates. The complexity of work requires reading and interpreting a variety of engineering documents prepared by consultants regarding erosion and sediment control, stormwater management, fill sequence of landfill cells and sub-cells, and determining what devices are available to enforce sediment and erosion and stormwater controls. The scope of work impacts County citizens using the facility, other County agencies, and private contractors.
Work includes preparing and administering the landfill and recycling center operating budget; supervising and evaluating the work performance of employees; and ensuring the proper maintenance and use of vehicles and equipment.
This is primarily a sedentary position but frequent (several times per day) on-site visits are made to the landfill, recycling area, and other resource recovery operations to observe work in progress, and ensure program and project objectives are attained.
- Plans, organizes and schedules activities for refuse disposal at the County landfill to include excavation, soil hauling, waste compaction, recycling, monitoring contractor performance, and checking sediment and erosion control devices.
- Supervises and schedules employees who are engaged in activities ranging from laborer duties to the operation and maintenance of various types of complex heavy equipment, both wheeled, tracked, and stationary.
- Detem1ines layout and fill sequence of various sub-cells, directs proper maintenance and construction of necessary sediment and erosion control devices and access roads.
- Ensures landfill is operated in accordance with applicable Federal, State, and County laws and existing operation permits, including daily, intermediate, and final cover; weight records of refuse disposed; seeding and other required maintenance activities.
- Infom1s users of the landfill and recycling area of rules, regulations, and responsibilities in the disposal of solid waste; prepare and maintain necessary records and reports on personnel, as well as the operation of the facilities.
- Inspects all new construction such as lined cells, leachate collection, sediment and erosion control devices, and recycling area layout.
- Assists with the preparation of and administers operating budget for the landfill and resource recovery areas.
- Drafts policies and operational procedures to ensure the landfill and recycling area operate effectively in maintaining a safe working environment and customer-oriented focus.
- Administers contracts for supplies and services to include writing of proposals, advertising and reviewing bids, and ensuring contract is executed in accordance with contract specifications.
- Reads and interprets a variety of engineering documents prepared by consultants regarding erosion and sediment control, stormwater management, fill sequence of landfill sub-cells.
- Preforms duties of a higher-level manager when required.
- Serves as the liaison for citizen contact for both on- and off-site environmental compliance activities.
- Perform related duties as required.
- Thorough knowledge of the methods and techniques of integrated solid waste management systems methods.
- Thorough knowledge of local, State (MD), and Federal laws related to waste management systems.
- Skill in planning and goal setting to achieve work objectives.
- Skill in managing human resources and equipment to ensure a safe, efficient, and customer friendly operation.
- Skill in supervising, counseling, motivating, disciplining personnel, and maintaining effective working relationships.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to develop and implement solutions to operational problems, and evaluate operational data (tonnage, leachate, landfill gas, etc.) for development of efficiency improvements.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in physical, environmental, or biological sciences, engineering, geology, hydrology, or a related field
- Two (2) or more years of experience in landfill operations, environmental regulations, and waste management service operations
NOTE: Heavy and civil earthwork construction management would include projects such as site development, Public Works, water resources, transportation, and projects which include significant mass excavation and grading. Construction management experience would include primary project management (submittals, invoices, RFis, change orders, schedule tracking, close-out documents, etc.), project cost controls and tracking, managing of overall site safety, environmental compliance, and personnel management and development.
NOTE: This is a safety sensitive position and employees in this position are subject to Controlled Dangerous Substance (CDS) and Alcohol testing.
- Experience in the methods and techniques of integrated solid waste management systems.
- Knowledge of local, State (Maryland), and Federal laws related to waste management systems.
- Possession of a Solid Waste Association of North America (SWANA) Manager of Landfill Operations (MOLO) certification, a SWANA Manager of Composting Programs certification, or a Maryland Department of Agriculture Compost Facility Operator
- Skills in managing human resources and equipment to ensure a safe, efficient, and customer friendly operation.
- Experience in the use of Microsoft Office (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and G-Suite (i.e. GMail,GM Docs, Sheets, Slides), and CountyView (or other GIS program).
- Experience in supervising, training, motivating, counseling and disciplining personnel, and maintaining effective working relationships.