Engineering Technician 7: Renewables
11401 Lamar Avenue Shawnee Mission, KS 66211 US
Functions in a senior lead engineering technician capacity. Under general direction, modify or create deliverables and perform assignments of a design nature by applying basic engineering principles and established design practices to develop complex design concepts. Provide technical guidance and may provide direction to other engineering professionals.
- Applies basic engineering principles and established design practices in developing moderately complex design concepts and deliverables.
- Applies judgment and makes decisions with respect to deliverables and input interpretation.
- Capable of handling difficult technical assignments within an area of expertise and can provide technical guidance to other professionals.
- Performs design calculations, detailed material quantities and estimates, and records.
- Uses advanced applications (e.g., modeling and design software) in performance of work provided.
- May review the deliverables of others.
- May define work assignments and maintain schedules.
- May program control systems or participate in other plant start-up activities associated with a specialized area of expertise.
- Coordinates with other design group personnel to review and exchange project information necessary for design development.
- May support field activities.
- May communicate project design requirements, progress and schedules.
Preferred Technical Skills:
- Ability to use the appropriate electronic applications and programs required for performing assignments.
- Include but not limited to CADD, other electronic applications, information modeling and document storage systems.
- Intermediate industry knowledge and technology trends.
- Advanced ability to interpret engineering deliverable content as assigned.
- Advanced knowledge of other disciplines.
- Basic knowledge of construction and constructability practices and principles.
- Intermediate knowledge of engineering design principles and applicable design guides related to assigned engineering discipline.
- Advanced knowledge of AutoCAD and/or Microstation.
- 3D design & other CAD software knowledge a plus.
- Experience with engineering calculations.
- Advanced knowledge of utility scale solar design. (50MW+)
- Advanced knowledge of above and below grade cable routing and installation requirements.
- Advanced knowledge of solar cable messenger systems such as CAB products is a bonus.
- Intermediate knowledge of trenching and directional boring methods for electrical cables.
- Advanced knowledge of grounding methods for utility scale solar plants.
- Advanced knowledge of electrical equipment placement and clearances applicable to utility scale solar plants.
- Intermediate knowledge of inverter skids applicable to utility scale solar plants.
- Basic knowledge of how electrical equipment placement and cable length affects maximum voltage drop limits applicable to utility scale solar plants.
- Basic knowledge of cable tie-in connections at substations.
- Basic knowledge of site preparation for utility scale solar plants.
- Ability to produce physical designs from scope documents.
- Advanced knowledge of the following codes and application of their requirements to utility scale solar plants:
- IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- NEC - National Electrical Code
- NESC - National Electrical Safety Code
- NEMA - National Electrical Manufacturers Association
- NFPA - National Fire Protection Agency
- Associate Degree in Drafting or an Engineering Design Related Technology preferred.
- Bachelor Degree in an Engineering Design Related Technology preferred.
- Typically a minimum of 11 years related work experience.