Director of Internal Audit
201 Burlington Road Bedford, MA 01730 US
The Head of Internal Audit will be responsible for leading and continuously improving an Internal Audit Program to support transformational journey. This role reports to the Audit Committee with an administrative reporting line to the Chief Financial Officer. This role has leadership responsibility for the Audit function, including implementing and ensuring appropriate internal controls and processes are in place as the company continues to grow and maintaining efficient and effective governance. The role will oversee the annual Audit Plan with a focus on Financial, Operational, Compliance and Strategic risks, including a focus around Sarbanes-Oxley ("SOX") compliance. The successful candidate will serve as an internal advisor to business leadership and ensure the audit team is seen as a forward-thinking business partner. The audit team must add value by not only proactively identifying and assessing potential control issues, but also creating the appropriate strategies to mitigate potential risks. The successful candidate must be capable of building internal and external relationships to develop an internal audit function that helps architect and add value versus solely monitor internal controls.
- Responsible for leading a flexible, risk-based Global internal audit strategy and the continuation of financial, operational, compliance and strategic audit plans by working with both business and IT colleagues and stakeholders to lead the planning, fieldwork, and reporting of integrated audits and other projects.
- Actively participates in applicable executive management forums and Audit Committee meetings to report the progress of the department relative to the annual audit plan and any audit issues that arise.
- Leads a team responsible for development and implementation of detailed test plans to assess the current control environment to identify areas of control weakness / gaps for the internal audit plan, including SOX initiatives.
- Oversees control testing across the business. Effectively develops and communicates timelines and role assignments to ensure a timely and accurate consolidation of internal audit and SOX results while driving accountability across the business.
- Works regularly with internal business process owners to assess design and operating control failures through review of root cause assessments. Effectively communicates findings and practical recommendations, helps guide remediation efforts to closure, and advises on control requirements for new systems or process design. Follow-ups on required remediation to ensure control gaps are adequately addressed and aligned to completion dates.
- Maintains current understanding of all related internal systems and processes, and external regulatory requirements; Acts in accordance with all corporate policies and practices, and ensure work follows all internal policies and external regulatory requirements.
- Works closely with the Company's external auditors, including coordinating the annual risk-based audit plan and SOX initiatives, with the objective of increasing the effectiveness and efficiency of the audit function by maintaining or exceeding the current level of external auditor reliance.
- Develops relationships as a trusted business advisor; provides value-added insights to senior management through participation in business or functional leadership Committees, enterprise risk functions, M&A, deal reviews, etc. Informs senior management of emerging trends and best practices in operational and IT governance, risk, and compliance.
- Structures and manages both the internal team and any co-source supporting resources for maximum effectiveness and impact.
- Leverages technology to enhance the business and maintain a competitive advantage, while working to continuously improve processes and procedures through elimination of redundancies.
- Communicates with other teams that perform governance, risk, control, and monitoring activities to ensure efficient realization of plans and reduction of duplication through a consultative approach.
- Acts as a change agent encouraging an environment that employs accountability, collaboration and trust while fostering teamwork and execution.
- BA/BS degree in Accounting, Finance or equivalent.
- 12+ years in audit or accounting, including prior management-level responsibility in internal audit and/or public or private accounting.
- Experience in Public Accounting a plus.
- CPA preferred; CIA or related certification/equivalent experience a plus.
- Strong technical U.S. GAAP accounting/reporting knowledge.
- Experience in presenting to the Audit Committee and executive presence that will ensure credibility with the board.
- Demonstrated expertise in identification and implementation of internal controls; formal Sarbanes-Oxley experience required.
CAPABILIITIES / COMPETENCIES
- Able to interact comfortably with all levels of management and staff, and Board members; strong executive presence;
- Intellectual curiosity;
- Results oriented;
- A passion for performing meaningful work that impacts patients’ lives;
- The highest integrity and the ability to do what’s right even when no one is looking;
- Sound, reasoned judgment;
- Sophisticated emotional intelligence, strong interpersonal skills, a collaborative style, and ability to build consensus;
- An ability to manage differing opinions, ambiguity, and conflict effectively and to escalate issues appropriately;
- Confidence navigating a highly regulated, public company environment;
- Exceptional reasoning skills and a creative, pragmatic, solution-oriented and cross-functional problem-solving approach;
- Effective listening;
- Excellent and well developed oral and written communication / presentation skills;
- An innate and unshakable sense of ownership;
- Proactive and effective project planning skills;
- An ability to work independently with minimal supervision;
- A proactive, entrepreneurial mindset and a willingness to “roll up your sleeves” to get the job done;
- A serious interest in developing and implementing cross-functional process improvement initiatives;
- A serious passion, curiosity, receptiveness, and capacity to learn about the Company, its complex and evolving businesses and industry, the underlying clinical use of its products, and the sale, delivery, and use of its products within the healthcare system; and
- An ability to set and manage multiple, constantly changing, sometimes conflicting priorities in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.