Corrosion Technician I
4600 Coolidge Hwy??????? Royal Oak, MI 48073 US
Pay Rate: $30-35/hr
Reason for Request:
First half MPSC inspections for external corrosion resulted in multiple findings regarding the monitoring and mitigating of shorted casings. After completing a problem solving, we discovered casings in GIS and in the field, but they were not in our Corrosion Database. Casings are required to be read annually. Reads confirm they are not electrically continuous with their carrier pipe. Casings that fall within 10 mV of their carrier pipe voltage are considered “shorted.” Without vents or read points, casings cannot be read to verify the reads are within criteria.
All casings in GIS need to be audited and field verified to ensure all casings are in the Corrosion Database to proceed with code required monitoring. We estimate the verification will take approximately 3 months to complete. We analyzed the casing query from GIS and discovered we have over 3-thousand casings in GIS, and only 350 in our Corrosion Database. We have been diligently working on validating this list of casings from GIS, however, each line item takes 8 minutes to evaluate.
For each casing we are required to verify the following:
- The carrier pipe is steel (not always shown in GIS, as material type could be null)
- Ensure the pipe has not been replaced with plastic
- Casing can be present but no further monitoring is required if the pipe has been replaced with plastic
- A test point is on the casing, or a vent is present (can view this check from Google Earth)
- A test point is within 100 feet of the casing.
- To determine if the casing is shorted to carrier pipe
The casings will also need to be entered into our Corrosion Database and reads will need to be taken in the field to comply with the code required monitoring.
We have completed 267 casings to date and 3000 remain to be completed. This is approximately 400 hours of work. Therefore, we are requesting a contract resource, for a 12-week period, to complete this compliance required analysis with our oversight and support closing out the casing CAPA.
- Someone with Excel and prior GIS experience would be capable for this job
- Education: No degree required