Assistant Distribution Designer
4201 Edith Blvd NE Los Ranchos De Albuquerque, NM 87107 US
- The Assistant Distribution Engineer will work under the supervision of a licensed professional engineer to assist project teams to create world-class designs for new projects, alterations, and redevelopments on a variety of 2.4kV to 34.5kV overhead and underground utility distribution projects.
- The Assistant Distribution Engineer will work with the project team throughout the design and construction process, adapting electrical distribution plans according to budget constraints, design factors, or client needs.
- Assist in the design of distribution projects from the conceptual phase through design completion.
- Assist in the preparation and development of distribution voltage packages for both overhead and underground projects, including distribution equipment installation, feeder replacement, cable replacement, and new feeder design.
- Prepare design sketches, cost estimates, bill of materials, and other required deliverables.
- Perform various distribution calculations, including cable pulling, voltage drop, and pole loading calculations.
- Apply basic knowledge of NESC standards and utility standards, guides, specifications, and procedures.
- Assist with field inspections for overhead and underground electric facilities on public and private utility systems.
- Assist with research and compiles project-related data as required by the project managers.
- Assist project team with communication regarding vegetation management, third-party attachments, right-of-way, and outage planning.
- Assist with client presentations, reports, and visualizations to demonstrate technical results and project status.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of a 3.0 GPA strongly preferred.
- Prior internship or related consulting experience preferred.
- Involvement on campus or in the community preferred.
- Basic knowledge of electrical distribution power flow preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work methodically and analytically in a quantitative problem-solving environment and demonstrated critical thinking skills
- Proficient computer skills (e.g., Microsoft Office Suite).
- Basic distribution design software experience preferred.
- Strong attention to detail, facilitation, team building, collaboration, organization, and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis without requiring future sponsorship for employment visa status.