Staff Distribution Designer
2111 Woodward Avenue, Suite 202 Detroit, MI 48201 US
- Our client is looking for a Distribution Designer to perform distribution line design on a variety of utility projects.
- This position offers the opportunity to challenge and grow yourself professionally within Engineering News-Record (ENR) magazine' s top-ranked Transmission & Distribution practice.
- Be on the cutting edge of new technologies and engineering practices in the T&D engineering space.
- The Distribution Designer will work within our Transmission and Distribution (T&D) Global Practice to perform the following duties:
- Responsible for the design of low to medium voltage (2.4-120kV) distribution and subtransmission lines using CADD.
- Prepare construction documents including plan and profile drawings for overhead and underground electric distribution, fiber optic and telecommunications facilities.
- Provide field support during construction
- Plans, schedules, conducts and coordinates work requiring judgment in the independent evaluation, selection, adaptation and modification of standard engineering techniques, procedures and criteria.
- Performs work that involves conventional engineering practices, but may involve a variety of complex features.
- Requires general knowledge of precedents in specialty areas and familiarity with basic principles and practices in related specialties.
- May coordinate departmental and divisional project studies and report preparation assignments.
- This position requires an experienced and competent individual capable of successfully solving difficult problems that require adaptation and modification of standard techniques, procedures and criteria.
- Must be capable of devising new approaches to problems encountered.
- Assist project manager to develop scope of work and conceptual design for the projects.
- Communicate and coordinate project activities with project manager, client, and others as needed.
- Provide leadership, guidance and instruction to less experienced staff members.
- Take personal responsibility for the quality and accuracy of ones work.
- Other duties will be assigned as required.
- Bachelor' s degree in drafting technology or related field and seven years related experience or associate' s degree and eight years related experience or nine years progressive detailing and design experience. (Bachelor' s degree in ANY Engineering field is NOT allowed for this role except for Engineering Technology).
- Advanced understanding of design software such as: AutoCAD, MicroStation, and Excel to develop the design deliverables.
- Ability to learn and effectively utilize new design software programs.
- Advanced ability to utilize both 2D and 3D applications to prepare engineering drawings.
- Advanced knowledge in design, calculations and design systems.
- Advanced knowledge in the theory and practices of assigned discipline; competent in the fundamental concepts of other disciplines as they relate to the assigned discipline; and capable of operating related discipline design software necessary to execute production tasks.
- Ability to work collaboratively with others including, but not limited to Project Managers, Engineers and Designers in a multi-discipline project team environment to resolve design or drawing issues as appropriate and to accomplish objectives.
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills, and attention to detail