169 Holland Street Somerville, MA 02129 US
What You'll Do
The Service Designer uses research and creativity to understand critical business problems and design new and engaging experiences that connect with people, often fundamentally changing the way a service is delivered, resulting in service innovation. This position will play a key role in the ERP Foundations project, a once-in-a-generation opportunity to evaluate and improve user experience and business processes related to Human Resources, Finance, and student information and course enrollment. On this and other projects, this position will employ design thinking methodologies, frameworks such as Jobs-To-Be-Done, and business analysis/modeling to identify, frame and/or reframe business opportunities; apply design techniques, research, and analysis to generate new knowledge; synthesize key insights; develop and test low-fidelity and medium-fidelity prototypes including service blueprints, user journey maps, service mockups, wireframes, and storyboards. The Service Designer will work with IT planning, support, and infrastructure teams to identify technical dependencies or challenges, and identify potential solutions for designed services. This position may be primarily remote but will be required to come to campus periodically for in-person engagements
Minimum Required Experience, Education, Background, And Certifications/Licenses
• The knowledge and skills that are typically acquired through a Bachelor’s degree and 4+ years of work experience.
• Experience with service blueprinting and user journey/experience mapping methodologies and/or related tools.
• Experience with design thinking and other human centered design methodologies, Jobs-To-Be-Done, etc.
• Experience with prototyping tools such as Sketch, inVision, or UXPin, and Adobe Creative Suite applications.
• Experience creating business flow documents, data flow diagrams, and functional specifications using Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, etc.).
• Proven service design/business analyst experience on launched services that have been implemented in the real world.
• Excellent technical writing, interpersonal, and communication skills.
• Experience identifying, recommending and changing business processes.
• Ability to provide examples of completed process redesign documents which demonstrate a clear understanding of process redesign principles and best practices.
Additional Preferred Experience, Education, etc.
• Experience with conception, ideation, and iterative prototyping.
• Experience with qualitative and quantitative research methodologies and related software.
• Experience with client relationship management including building and maintaining strong working relationships with key stakeholders.
• Experience working on IT projects in a higher education institution.
• Demonstrated experience working across multiple business units with the ability to foster a sense of teamwork and create a collaborative environment.
• Demonstrated experience working in conjunction with 3rd party services vendors.
• Experience with business process modeling and notation best practices languages such as BPML.
• Working knowledge of Drupal, structured queries/databases, and enterprise resource planning systems (such as PeopleSoft), CRM systems (such as Salesforce), and ITIL-based ITSM systems (such as ServiceNow).