4720 Piedmont Row Drive Charlotte, NC 28210 US
This position will be responsible for the design of new assets and support of existing systems including natural gas pipelines, stations, and valve installations. The engineer will specify piping materials, valves, metering, pressure and flow regulation equipment, gas heaters, and other gas monitoring and conditioning equipment. The engineer will design systems and manage the design work of engineering design firms for larger projects. Daily work includes preparation of standards, writing procedures, and working with field and office staff and other resources to plan, design, bid, and execute the construction of various gas facilities.
Employees at this level solve more complex problems in engineering areas of specialization with limited supervision. Incumbents are expected to have advanced skills and the ability to work with independently. They effectively apply fundamental concepts and procedures to work that is progressively complex and varied.
Responsibilities & Duties: With limited supervision, the Project Engineer:
- Provides engineering/technical expertise and guidance in the identification, analysis, and resolution of problems of increasing scope and complexity.
- Contributes to team decision-making in the accomplishment of business goals and objectives through effective planning, organizing, estimating, scheduling, and monitoring of work activities; deals with changing priorities and differing situations and makes decisions that may affect the work of the team.
- Prepares thorough and accurate technical reports, correspondence, documentation, calculations, and sketches related to well-defined problems and analysis of increasing scope and complexity.
- Conducts engineering and related studies; completes routine engineering projects with minimal oversight with increasing ability to independently manage project schedules and interfaces; increasingly competent to design, operate, and maintain systems with moderate impact on existing systems.
- Possesses and applies fundamental concepts, practices, and procedures; proficient in technical and analytical competencies.
- Develops positive working relationships to effectively coordinate work activities.
- Demonstrates effective oral and written communication skills.
- Maintains accurate records and files.
- Supports the company's goals and represents the company positively and professionally.
- Graduation from a four-year college or university with a Bachelor of Science in Engineering from an ABET accredited program or state registration as a Professional Engineer. A Master's degree in engineering will be considered in lieu of the B. S. engineering degree.
- Minimum of 6 years of engineering experience or 5 years of engineering experience with state registration as a Professional Engineer. Experience must have been attained at a "Fully Meets" performance level.
- Proficient in engineering theories and principles.
- Proficient in practices of researching engineering and design issues, evaluating alternatives, making sound recommendations, and preparing and presenting recommendations.
- Ability to deal with a variety of individuals from various socio-economic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Registered Professional Engineer (PE) or passing grade on the Engineering Fundamentals (FE/EIT) exam with intention to achieve registration as a Professional Engineer.
- Familiarity with piping and instrumentation diagrams (P&ID).
- Mechanical and electrical troubleshooting experience.
- Understanding of basic principles of project management.
- Three or more years of natural gas or energy industry engineering, operations, or construction experience.
- Knowledge of CFR 49 Part 192 - Federal Safety Standards for the Transportation of Natural Gas by Pipeline.