Lab Operations Specialist - I
Santa Monica San Mateo, CA 94404 US
Pay Rate Range: $37-41/hr
We are seeking a highly motivated individual to join us as a Laboratory Assistant, Research Operations. Reporting to the Manager, Research Laboratory Operations, this role will help to ensure that the research labs are clean, stocked, functional, and compliant in a manner that supports Research personnel as they execute objectives.
- Performs activities related to the maintenance of assigned laboratories - supporting training, documentation, planning, and implementation of laboratory operations and equipment maintenance protocols.
- Interacts closely with research staff using a customer service based approach to solve complex operational workflow and lab management issues.
- Acts as liaison for service requests between laboratory staff and EH&S, Facilities, IT, and Finance departments.
- Enters facility Work Orders for equipment repairs. Works closely with Facilities to track progress on Work Orders, preparing equipment for service and coordinating scheduling with equipment end users.
- Monitors and assists with the work of contract service providers for repairs and services.
- Leads small special projects to support operations, such as organizing lab cleaning, freezer defrosting, and space planning.
- Assists in on- and off-boarding of staff.
- Works with finance to assist with order request processing and creation of standing POs. Assists Finance with tracking of quarterly expenses.
- Participates in drafting biweekly lab operations newsletter, detailing laboratory announcements.
- Creates or revises standard operating procedures.
- Assists in managing laboratory supply inventory.
- Supports site moves.
- Organizes and supports the BMS alarm system in relevant labs.
- Detailed understanding and awareness of the type of research performed in the relevant laboratories.
- Assists research team(s) with unique ad hoc requests for laboratory services
- Other duties as may be assigned
- Attends team meetings as needed
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Keen attention to detail
- Self directed and creative problem solver
- Demonstrated time management
- Customer service skills
- Database management skills
- Computer skills: Knowledge of Microsoft Office, Excel, Laboratory Information Management Systems; ability to navigate and learn systems
- Associates or B.S. degree in a scientific discipline
- 1-2 years of relevant laboratory operations experience or equivalent
- Basic understanding of research conduct in a highly regulated environment
- Organized with ability to multitask and prioritize effectively