The Planet Group https://cdn.haleymarketing.com/templates/63515/logos/square.png http://www.theplanetgroup.com http://www.theplanetgroup.com true
Field Support Distribution Designer
200 West Adams Chicago, IL 60606 US
Posted: 02/13/2023 2023-02-13 2023-04-21 Employment Type: Contract Job Category: Engineering Job Number: 531063 Country: United States Is job remote?: No
- The Field Designer will work within our Transmission and Distribution (T&D) Global Practice to perform the following duties:
- Responsible for the field investigation and design of low to high voltage (600V-345kV) electrical distribution and transmission lines using CADD/GIS design and mapping software
- Provide direct infield oversight of subcontractor crew performing field investigations of underground electrical manholes/vaults, conduits, and termination structures inside and outside of substation or other client owned facilities.
- Provide QA/QC of field data collected such as photos, 3D scans, sketches, and measurements.
- Responsible for maintaining and enforcing site adherence to all applicable safety programs, policies and regulations for self, BMcD project team members, subcontractors, client(s) and the general public.
- Review contract documents with project manager to verify subcontractor(s) compliance to project schedule, health and safety requirements.
- Assist project manager to develop scope of work and schedule for subcontractor in coordination with project design team.
- Support independent evaluation and modification of work plan throughout project due to changing field conditions and schedule impacts.
- Manage external communication with client(s), regulatory agencies, and other public entities on project-related matters. This includes, but is not limited to, submitting advanced notices to road/permitting authorities for lane closures, scheduling client operators to support field investigations, proactively removing emergent project risks, etc.
- Develop civil and electrical construction packages for underground transmission and distribution infrastructure projects, including new conduit/duct bank, manhole/vault design, cable replacement/installation/routing, new feeder design, and equipment installation.
- This position requires an experienced and competent individual capable of successfully solving difficult problems that require adaptation and modification of standard techniques, procedures, and criteria.
- Provide leadership, guidance, and instruction to less experienced staff members.
- Other duties will be assigned as required.
- Bachelor's degree in drafting technology or related field and two years related experience, or associate's degree and three years related experience, or four years progressive detailing and design experience. (Bachelor's degree in any Engineering field is not allowed for this role except for Engineering Technology).
- Professional understanding of design software such as: AutoCAD, Civil 3D, MicroStation, GIS and Excel to develop design deliverables.
- Proficient knowledge in design, calculations, and design systems.
- Knowledgeable in the theory and practices of civil and/or electrical disciplines; competent in the fundamental concepts of other disciplines as they relate to the assigned discipline; and capable of operating related discipline design software necessary to execute production tasks.
- Ability to work collaboratively with others (Project Managers, Engineers, Designers) in a multi-discipline project team environment to resolve design or drawing issues as appropriate and to accomplish objectives.
- OSHA 10 and OSHA 30-hour certification strongly preferred.
- Experience entering enclosed/confined spaces or overseeing contractors entering enclosed/confined spaces strongly preferred.
- Excellent computer skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Access).
- Experience with document control, scheduling, and project management software a plus.
- Experience on construction project sites in the industries of aviation, commercial, energy, government, manufacturing, oil & gas, process, transportation, transmission & distribution, or water strongly preferred
- Construction experience on transmission and/or distribution projects strongly a plus.
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, and attention to detail.
- Must be able to meet the company's driving requirements.