Distribution Engineer - Staff Level
200 W Adams St UNIT 2700 Chicago, IL 60606 US
The Staff Distribution Engineer will work on a variety of 2.4kV to 69kV overhead and underground utility distribution projects. The Staff Distribution Engineer will work with a project team to implement effective and creative solutions for the distribution grid according to budget constraints, design factors and client needs. This position will require interface with utility clients and collaboration with multiple offices. This exciting opportunity will provide latitude for continued professional growth.
- Prepare and develop distribution and subtransmission voltage construction packages for both overhead and underground projects, including distribution equipment installation, conduit and duct bank design, feeder replacement, cable replacement, and new feeder design.
- Develop routing analysis for the design of low to medium voltage (2.4-69kV) distribution and subtransmission lines using CADD/GIS design and mapping software.
- Determine construction feasibility through route studies, conflict analysis, and construction cost estimating.
- Perform field inspections, measurements or calculations for overhead and underground electric facilities on public and private utility systems.
- Leverage commercially available simulation software and other tools to evaluate different scenarios and make informed recommendations to the client.
- Produce reports and visualizations to communicate technical results and interpretation of trends; effectively communicate findings and recommendations to all areas of the business.
- Work closely with the project team to ensure deliverables and services are being provided to client’ s satisfaction.
- Work closely with the project team to ensure that projects are following internal QA/QC guidelines.
- Perform QA/QC reviews of studies, reports, and construction design packages.
- Prepare calculations and assist with equipment specifications, such as cable pulling calculations, voltage drop, pole loading.
- Prepare proposals, engineering/project cost estimates, and execution schedules.
- Provide leadership, guidance and instruction to less experienced staff members.
- Regularly meet and correspond with clients, subcontractors, or outside personnel.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor of Science in Civil, Electrical or Mechanical Engineering or related degree from an ABET accredited program.
- Minimum 3 years distribution engineering/design experience (completion of master' s degree in related field may be substituted for one year of experience).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of overhead and underground construction methods and distribution system equipment.
- Experience conducting distribution field inspections.
- Understanding of distribution power flow.
- Experience with various distribution design tools, as well as CADD and GIS to aide in design.
- Familiarity with topographic mapping & surveying, and subsurface utility engineering/utility locating procedures and practices.
- Knowledge regarding easements, right-of-way, and permitting.
- Familiarity with NESC code for electrical distribution design and construction guidelines.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Capable of devising new, more efficient approaches to solving problems and processes.
- Able to handle multiple projects simultaneously and to prioritize work.
- Engineer in Training (EIT) Certification or Professional Engineering (PE) Certification strongly preferred.