Civil Engineer III (Hamilton/Northern MI)
3030 Lincoln Rd (M-40) Decatur, MI 49045 US
Project Engineering provides multi-discipline engineering leadership for natural gas capital projects, including gas distribution, transmission, city gates/regulator stations, compression and storage facilities. This individual will reside in the civil engineering group and support capital upgrade projects at two natural gas Compressor Stations. The project team consists of a multidiscipline group of project engineers, project managers, operations and others to support projects.
The Civil Engineer will be involved in several projects and to varying degrees of involvement. The role will be to (1) Identify/scope the civil engineering design and construction scope necessary to complete the project (2) contract engineering services necessary to complete the scope (3) provide engineering review and technical leadership (4) assist the Project Manager in contracting construction services to complete the scope of work (5) complete closeout activities (record drawings, test records, etc.)
- The Civil Engineer will be expected to regularly provide project updates to their supervisor including project status and risks to scope, quality, cost and schedule.
- The Civil Engineer must be able to tolerate a heavy industrial environment. Natural gas facilities present many loud, hot, and oily locations. The Civil Engineer should able to climb stairs and/or fixed ladders to elevated platforms, able to enter/crawl-into small/tight spaces (access hatches), and be able to walk a rough construction grade as required.
- The Civil Engineer will be required to travel to the two compressor facilities on average 3 days per week and as much as 5 days a week. Typical reasons for site visits include: pre-engineering kick off, pre-bid walk downs, pre-construction reviews, construction milestones, answering construction questions, construction quality inspections, requested regular site visits, and red-line walk downs.
- Working knowledge in civil and structural design. Relevant topics could include site design, stormwater management, pre-engineered metal building design, foundation design, structural steel design, storage tank design, environmental permitting (wetlands, soil erosion, culverts, etc.). Design experience in one of the above topics is preferred.
- Experience coordinating and developing contract documents, specifically engineering drawings and technical specifications for both consulting and construction services
- Working knowledge of Civil/Structural codes, including, but not limited to: IBC/MBC, AISC Steel Construction Manual, ACI 318, AWS D1.1, and ASCE 7.
- Ability to work safely,
- Ability to work independently,
- Communication of project status and risks,
- Engineering leadership and
- Problem solving
- Bachelor’s Engineering degree from an ABET accredited program in Civil Engineering
- Professional Engineer preferred